Retouching has become a lucrative business now. You can use digital software to remove all the imperfects on the skin, reduce the discoloration and correct anything else that is wrong with the image. The importance of good product images for your website cannot be denied and thanks to retouching, we can create perfect images.
Photo editing and photo retouching are two different things. Retouching means removing blemishes from a photo, brightening teeth, making the skin smooth etc. You are basically enhancing the photo. It lets you make up for the limitations of the camera. Things such as color tones, contracts, and light exposures can be corrected.
- Skin retouching
Skin retouching is easy, you just have to use the spot healing brush tool along with some other tools for improving the image. Let’s suppose you want to use the touch-up layer technique. It’s best for removing spots, marks, and blemishes, lint, durst or makeup flaws. It is not recommended if you want to retouch hot spots, patches of skin and blotchy skin. It is also not recommended if you want to deal with tiny blemishes.
- To get started, open the image in Photoshop and add an empty layer on top of the background layer.
- You will have to switch between clone stamp and healing brush to do the touch-ups. Use a soft brush to add artificial softness to the touch-ups.
- Select the empty layer, zoom in and make sure the size of the healing brush is slightly larger than the size of the blemish. Sample skin in the clean area. Place the brush on top of the blemish and click. As you move over different areas of the face, keep resampling.
- For retouching, you might have to use the clone stamp tool. It is best for cleaning makeup lines and strands of hair. Before sampling, set the cloning tool at 20 percent opacity and then click on the areas that need correcting.
- Boost the irises
If it is a photo portrait, the eyes are the most important part of the picture. You can make them stand out by boosting the irises. This is done by boosting the contrast and color in the iris. Don’t forget to darken the edges.
- Open the same images in two windows
When retouching, it is convenient to have two windows open for the same image. You can set them side by side for working on the details. This technique will prove to be quite useful. To use this feature, go to ‘Windows’ and click ‘Arrange’ and then click ‘New Window’. Then go ‘Window’ again and click on ‘Arrange’ and then ‘Two Up Vertical.’ This will put two tabs side by side. You can zoom in and out to make corrections in the image without losing the sight of the original picture. Any adjustments you make on one image will reflect on the other one immediately. So, you will know how the final look of the image would be.
With the right retouching techniques, you can actually make an image popup. So, make the most out of it.